Tuesday, October 08, 2013

home made greek yogurt caesar salad

Long enough have I been cheating myself to eat healthy outside, by ordering anything that has the word 'salad' in it's name. And a peek at the calorie count for a typical dinner sized Caesar salad made in a restaurant may fetch up to 800kcal depending on the ingredients used. So, choose the lesser evil? Perhaps if we don't do it that often.


However, I do try to eat clean whenever I prepare my own salad at home. My latest craze, using yogurt as dressing. You may notice the new hype on yogurt, claimed to be the healthier version - the Greek Yogurt - that almost every brand carry a variation at the moment. But for the best benefit of clean eating, try to get the plain version, which is sans the fruit jam and unnecessary sugar chucked in.

Here's my take on a yogurt based Caesar salad:
  • 1 cup shred cabbage (about a quarter of a medium Beijing cabbage)
  • 1 cup baby butter-head lettuce (about half a head)
  • a pinch of seasoned nori
Dressing:
  • 3 tbsp plain Greek yogurt
  • 1 large soft boiled egg
  • 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp grated Parmesan
  • a sprinkle of raisin
  • a drizzle of honey
  • a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste
Total calorie 235kcal; carb 15.7g, prot 15.8g, fat 8.0g.

The above portion fills up a whole salad bowl, that can easily feed up to 4 people as a side dish. I however, split them into 2 servings, or sometimes when I'm really famished, gobble up in one seating, which I admit goes against my philosophy of moderation.

Caesar salad usually comes with hard boiled eggs, and some crouton. So if you're feeling really naughty, throw in a sliced boiled egg and substitute the crouton with 3 pieces of Munchy's Oat Krunch with Chia seed, which adds up another 8g of protein at the expense of about 200kcal. Not too bad if you have friends to share this with.

いただきます

No comments:

Post a Comment